Saturday, December 11, 2010

Primes

I became so attached to the Canon 50mm f1.4 prime lens that it is rarely removed from my Digital Rebel. Some disucussion about adding a new lens to my arsenal has taken place, given that Christmas gifts are in order.

However, I have held back.

There is little point in buying new equipment without careful consideration about what sort of shots I wish to take. The sharpness that prime lenses offer has made me veer away from zooms from the time being. I wonder if an 80 mm prime, which will grow to the equivalent of 105mm or 110 mm due to crop factor, might be the best choice.

This may be just the lens for neat architectural shots of bridges and buildings while wandering round town.






You Will See the Light

2 comments:

David T. Macknet said...

You might consider a wide-angle, rather than a narrower one. Agreed, telephotos don't really do the trick. I'd got with a 28mm, or maybe even a 22mm. Just to get those architectural shots. :)

Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

I have thought about wide-angle, but since I have access to a loan of a nice zoom wide-angle I thought an 80mm or 85mm would fill a gap and make a nice portrait lens as well.

When I make my fortune, a tilt-shift will be first on the list.